Lifesavers Fall 09
Written by Staff
From left: Jean by Joe Fresh Style, $5.99, from Value Village, 1560 Regent Ave; blouse by Please Mum, $3.99, Value Village, 1695 Ellice Ave; zip front sweater by Old Navy, $3.99, Value Village, 1725 Pembina Hwy. Corduroy pants by Cherokee, $3.99; t-shirt by Joe Fresh Style, $1.99; hooded cardigan by Mexx, $4.99, all from Value Village, 1695 Ellice Ave. Checked blouse by Beverly Hills Polo Club, $2.99 from Goodwill Industries, 701 Regent Ave; jumper by Tommy Hilfiger, $4.99, from Value Village, 1695 Ellice Ave. T-shirt by Joe Fresh Style, $2.99 from Goodwill Industries, 1540 Pembina Hwy; wool jumper by Good Lads’ Girls, $3.99, from Value Village, 1560 Regent Ave. Long sleeved top by Old Navy, $3.99, from MCP, 990 Nairn Ave; pleated skirt by Gap, $2.99, from Value Village, Pembina Hwy.
Photo by Grajewski Fotograph Inc.
The beauty buzz – Our favourite bits and bites from the beauty world.
• While you’re out school supply shopping this fall, you may be tempted to snag something for yourself. We love the new boldly patterned pencil cases from Hilroy’s Shape it Up line. They’re cute, inexpensive and happen to be the perfect shape for toting our cosmetics—your daughter will never know they’re missing. Visit www.hilroy.ca for locations.
• Not sure how to use that angled brush or how to create a perfect smoky eye? Buttercup Beauty Bar is now offering Beauty Boot Camps to whip Carmindy wanabes into shape. OK—the only thing getting shaped will be eyebrows and lip lines as the beauty gurus demonstrate to small groups the hows and whys of makeup. The two-hour long classes are held on Sundays beginning mid-September and are $60 per session. Sounds like a great girlfriend get together to us! Call 488-6920 for more info.
• Tiber River Naturals has opened up a second location to service south Winnipeggers in Kenaston Crossing Mall. The good news for Academy and Kenaston fans, is that their deliciously-scented fall line, in sleek new packaging (left), is available at both locations. 408 Academy Rd, and 3-1650 Kenaston Blvd.
• A Love Nail Bar love-licious manicure fan tipped us off to the fabulous “nail bomb” that’s used as a soak to soften cuticles during the service. Available in a variety of ice-creamy scents, the soaks are a great way to bring the spa home with you. $13.50, 108-290 Waterfront Dr, 949-9260.
• Cough in your “corner” and wash, wash, wash your hands—our latest mantra will hopefully keep H1N1 at bay. For the times when soap and water are not immediately accessible, we needed a new choice—our drugstore brand anti-bacterial gel wasn’t cutting it, leaving our hands chapped and unpleasantly scented. Fortunately we happened upon the new Purifying Waterless Hand Soap from Fruits & Passion. While it does have an alcohol base, the formula kept our hands soft and comes in the scents that first made us fall in love with Fruits & Passion—like orange-cantaloupe. $6.50, www.fruits-passion.com.